|If a teenager needed your advice, would you give it?
They do … and you can. Here is the perfect opportunity to make a difference in the lives of students struggling to find direction in their life and motivation to achieve. Your energy, knowledge and life experience are needed. With a limited time commitment (equivalent to 2 half days), you can influence and inspire 100 young people in your community high schools to pursue their dreams and a life of opportunity. Achievement Counts is a nationally renowned and locally respected statewide campaign created by the Maryland Business Roundtable for Education (MBRT) that demonstrates the importance of completing rigorous coursework and the vital connection between achievement in school and success in the workplace and in life.MBRT is looking for “young at heart,” enthusiastic, articulate working people from various careers, educational, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds to help deliver the Achievement Counts message. Join with 3,000 other committed Marylanders who will talk this fall with over 500,000 8th and 9th grade students in their classrooms about where they want to go in life and how to get there. Volunteers will participate in a 3-hour training session in September/October/November, and are asked to make four 45-minute classroom presentations throughout the school year. Volunteers will be able to select schools, dates and times that are convenient to them. The next generation looks to you for guidance and direction. Don’t miss this opportunity to help shape the future.
What is the Speakers Bureau?
The Achievement Counts Speakers Bureau is a growing cadre of dedicated volunteers from varying backgrounds and professions who talk with 8th or 9th graders in their classrooms about where they want to go in life and how to get there. We emphasize: the more students achieve, the more opportunity and options they will have. Who participates
- In 1999, 80 business people volunteered to talk with high school freshmen in Baltimore County about the importance of high school to their futures.
- By the end of this school year, our volunteers will have met with 1/2 million students (wow) in 8th and 9th grade classrooms across Maryland.
- This year, in 2013, we expect to have 3,000 speakers who will reach 100,000 students!
How it works:
Armed with a simple lesson plan, handouts, work experience, and a caring heart, each speaker walks through the classroom door determined to make a difference in someone’s life. As they deliver the same key messages, each speaker brings a unique personal perspective.
- They talk about their profession and what it took to get where they are.
- They talk about what they did right and what they did wrong.
- They stress things they think will help students get ahead.
- They listen to students’ hopes, opinions, concerns and respond to questions.
What do the students and teachers say
about the experience?(Read what they tell us >)
|So, why do our speakers come back
… year after year? (Let them tell you >)Are you ready? (Great, please sign up and tell a few friends and colleagues)